RetroWarp – a fake retro GPU
Lately, I’ve been fiddling with a side project which ended being quite interesting.
The goal of this side project was to prototype out a system which implements software rasterization in compute shaders using modern GPU features like Vulkan 1.1 subgroups and async compute to improve performance. Then, I wanted to apply this to emulation of retro GPUs, in particular, a more low-level approach.
I believe compute shader rasterization has some key advantages in the domain of low-level emulation. Chasing full accuracy means not being able to make use of the key fixed function aspects of the graphics pipeline on Vulkan GPUs and most of the reasons to use fragment shaders goes away. With compute, there is no fixed function baggage to grapple with, but it does mean a lot of the things we take for granted must be implemented in software.
I didn’t aim to dive straight into a concrete retro GPU with this prototype, but rather I designed a straight forward rasterizer which supports the basic features found in particular old GPUs. My approach here is that this could be used as a starting point when going further and emulating a real legacy chip.
The repository is available on Github: https://github.com/Themaister/RetroWarp
The high level system
Rather than reiterate everything presented in the slide deck, I will link to it directly instead, however, it’s useful to discuss the system at a very high level.
I presented this work at the Khronos Munich meetup in October 2019. You can find the presentation slides here.
Going tile-based is practically necessary for any compute shader implementation. I implemented 8×8 and 16×16 tile modes. Smaller tiles are more suitable for lower resolution like 320×240 and 640×480, but 16×16 was useful for 720p and up.
If you are familiar with tile deferred shading and friends, you know where I’m going with this.
To be tile based, we need to assign primitives to tiles. This is a quite intensive process when the tile size is small as time scales as resolution times number of primitives. To optimize, I bin at a low resolution (e.g. 64×64 tiles) and then refine the binning at full tile resolution.
Bitmap instead of primitive list
A common way to bin is to build an array of primitives which affects a tile, and then the renderer can just loop through that array of indices on a per-tile basis. This is problematic in the worst case where a lot of primitives end up filling the entire screen, there simply might not be memory available to store all these lists. We cannot allocate memory arbitrary on the GPU, and we really want to do tile binning on the GPU and not CPU.
Instead, each tile gets a fixed array of u32 bitmasks, where 1 bit is used per primitive. Bit-scan loops are used instead. To speed up the process where there are many gaps in the bitmap (there certainly is), there is a hierarchy, where the first hierarchy of bits marks a bit if any primitives is binned in groups of 32 primitives. If we find a bit set here, we go down the hierarchy and loop some more. A more concrete example here is:
- Maximum of 16k primitives (arbitrary limit we choose)
- Bitmap is u32[16k / 32] to contain all state
- Coarse bitmap is u32[16k / (32 * 32)]
If more than 16k primitives are used, we can just split this into multiple render passes. These old GPUs don’t exactly support indirect rendering, so that’s not really a problem.
Ubershader vs. split shader architecture
After binning, we could simply implement an ubershader from doom where we deal with any possible render state the GPU supports in one 5000+ line monster. This is very problematic for performance, particularly with register pressure/occupancy on the shader cores.
One of my key deviations from the norm here was to implement a split shader architecture. Rather than rely on ubershaders, it is possible for the depth/blending state to consume pre-shaded tiles which contains color/depth/coverage information necessary to run these stages.
To create color/depth/coverage information, we can generate indirect dispatches and use specialization constants to carve out the code paths we need to run instead. This keeps register pressure down. The key downside of this approach is that we need to allocate memory and bandwidth for the pre-shaded data.
Async compute + graphics queue compute
Depth/blending is the only stage which needs to happen in-order. We can happily do binning and shading and feed the results to the final shading stage. I run everything except for depth/blending in the async compute queue, and depth/blending can run in the graphics queue.
See presentation slides for more detailed results.
Subgroup optimizations gave a solid ~20% uplift on AMD/NV/Intel. Async compute gave further 10-20% uplift on AMD/NV. Overall, I’m quite happy with this.